World

North Korea-South Korea start first official talks in two years

Seoul:North and South Korea began their first official talks in more than two years on Tuesday, focussing on the forthcoming Winter Olympics after months of tensions over Pyongyang's nuclear weapons programme.

The talks in Panmunjom, the truce village in the Demilitarized Zone that divides the peninsula, came after the North's leader Kim Jong-Un indicated in his New Year's speech that he could send a delegation to next month's Games in Pyeongchang in the South.

Seoul responded with an offer of a high-level dialogue, and last week the hotline between the neighbours was restored after being suspended for almost two years.

Seoul's five-member delegation, led by unification minister Cho Myoung-Gyon, travelled to Panmunjom in a convoy of vehicles, passing a group of well-wishers holding a banner at a checkpoint leading towards the DMZ.

The North's group, of similar size and led by senior official Ri Son-Gwon, walked over the Military Demarcation Line at Panmunjom for the talks, pictures showed, just yards from where a defector ran across in a hail of bullets two months ago.

Looking businesslike, Cho and Ri shook hands at the entrance to the Peace House, the building on the southern side where the discussions were being held, and again across the table.

In accordance with standard practice in the North, Ri wore a badge on his left lapel bearing an image of the country's founding father Kim Il-Sung and his son and successor Kim Jong-Il. Cho also wore a lapel badge, depicting the South Korean flag.

'Let's present the people with a precious new year's gift,' said the North's Ri. 'There is a saying that a journey taken by two lasts longer than the one travelled alone.'

Cho told him that Seoul believed the Pyeongchang Games 'will become a peace Olympics as most valuable guests from the North are going to join many others from all around the world'.

'The people have a strong desire to see the North and South move toward peace and reconciliation,' he added.

It was a radically different tone from the rhetoric of recent months, which have seen Kim and US President Donald Trump trade personal insults and bellicose threats of war, while Pyongyang has launched missiles capable of reaching the US mainland and carried out its sixth and most powerful nuclear test to date.

Diaz-Canel is Cuba's new president as Castro steps aside

Havana: Miguel Diaz-Canel was formally named Cuba's new president today, succeeding Raul Castro, state media said -- a historic handover ending six de...

Acid attack injures three girls in Pakistan

Gujrat: Three motorcycle-borne men threw acid on two sisters and their friend in Gujrat city's of Dang district in Punjab province of Pakistan.The gir...

People in NY hold 'Justice Rally' to extend support to rape victims in India

New York: A New York City-based Hindu organization marched to the Union Square, here, to demand justice for the recent rape victims of Kathua, Unnao, ...

Afghan security forces foil explosion plot

Kabul : The Afghan security forces have thwarted a plot by the militants to detonate an improvised explosive device in Afghan's capital city Kabul.A r...